The Zambia Medical Association is one of the professional associations accredited by HPCZ to provide Continuous Medical Education (CME). The HPCZ has mandated the ZMA to restructure CMEs for medical doctors.
The CMEs organized by the ZMA will be driven through its committee on CMEs and this will be done at both national and provincial levels. In terms of the credit weight given to CME activities, there are various ratings under HPCZ for lectures/seminars/workshops, etc. However, this will need to be revised by the CME committee in order to expand what is currently prevailing.
Medical doctors are in different categories and these will be considered as CMEs are being designed. The categories include:
- Doctors in clinical Practice
- Doctors in Academia i.e. Lecturers or Researchers with different universities
- Doctors running programs in the health sector who either are working with partners or are in the public sector and not in active clinical practice.
ROLES OF THE CME COMMITTEE
- It shall be responsible for designing the CME programs.
- It shall be responsible for weighing the CMEs.
- The committee, as part of the initial mandate, will agree on the minimum CPD points required for licence renewal which they shall submit to HPCZ
The committee will work closely with the provincial branches to ensure that activities are held according to schedule
Mandatory CMEs for non-specialist doctors
For none specialised doctors, the following will be mandatory:
- ALS (APLS or ATLS) – to be renewed depending on the expiry date. Doctors will be required to present a valid certificate of ALS to HPCZ. ZMA therefore shall be responsible for organising such trainings every year to ensure that members are well vest in managing emergencies.
- Professionalisms and Medical ethics- (Preservice and every 5 years)
- Management and care for HIV patients (Basic)
- HIV management updates annually (online)
Mandatory CMEs for specialist doctors
For specialised doctors, the mandatory CMEs will depend on their specialty and the ZMA committee on CMEs will design what would be appropriate to allow renewal of their annual licences with HPCZ. This is important to ensure that excellence is upheld in all areas of practice.